By participating in a research study, you can help us establish effective treatments and help us learn about the causes and nature of adolescent mental health problems.
You may also, depending on the study, receive significant reduction in treatment costs or receive treatment free of charge.
All of our research studies are completely voluntary; you may opt out at any time without penalty.
- Novel treatment to help your child (10 to 14 ) overcome social anxiety
Does your 10- to 14-year-old get nervous or scared in social situations (school, restaurants, social gatherings)? He or she may qualify to participate in a research study to reduce their social anxiety. If eligible, your child will be randomly assigned to one of two interactive computer programs. Eligible participants will complete eight 15-minute sessions during a four-week period. Families will be compensated $600 for completing four study assessments. Services are offered in both English and Spanish. There is no waiting period to participate in this treatment study. Read the CAPP study flyer, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 305-348-1937 to learn more.
- Individual Trauma-focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT)
Free evidence-based treatment program where youth (ages 3-17) learn healthy ways of coping with their feelings, while caregivers learn stress management, parenting and behavior management skills, and communication skills. As a result, caregivers are better able to manage their own emotional distress and support their child more effectively. Read the TF-CBT flyer, Call 305-348-5885 or email email@example.com for more information.
- Seeking families of children and teens 10-13 years old for a research study about social changes and brain development (THRIVE)
Your child’s brain activity will be measured during computer and social tasks. You and your child will complete surveys regarding thoughts and feelings. For completing the six study visits, you will receive $600 in compensation, plus $60 for travel expenses. For more details, read the study website.
Buscamos familias de niños y adolescents entre 10-13 años de edad para un estudio sobre cambios sociales y desarrollo cerebral. La actividad cerebral de su niño/a será medida durante actividades sociales y computarizadas. Usted y su niño/a completarán encuestas acerca de pensamientos y emociones. Por completar las 6 visitas del estudio, recibirá $600 en compensación, además de $60 por gastos de viaje. Para más detalles, visita el sitio web del estudio.
- Novel Study to Understand how Sleep, Emotions, and Memory are Associated with Anxiety and Worry
The EMU study looks at the role of sleep in processing emotional memories among children with/without anxiety ages 10-13. We hope that by studying the impact of sleep on emotional memories, we can learn more about child anxiety. Participating children do not need to have a problem with sleep to participate. Study visits would take place 3 times over the course of 3 years, with 18 months in between each study visit. All participants will be compensated $1500 total ($500/visit) for completing all parts of the study.
To contact the EMU Study, you can fill out our contact form, text/call (305) 209-0136, or send an email to EMU-STUDY@FIU.EDU.
- Seeking children ages 10-14 for a study about emotions and attention to faces
We are studying how children, ages 10-14 with and without anxiety pay attention to pictures of faces. Attention to faces influence our feelings and behaviors in situations that involve other people. If eligible, your child will complete computer tasks while we measure their attention. You and your child will also respond to surveys. Families will be compensated $350 for completing four study assessments. The study is offered in both English and Spanish. There is no waiting period to participate in this study. Read the study flyer, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 305-348-4254 to learn more.
- Seeking teens (ages 13-17) who have experienced difficult events/trauma in childhood
The SWAY Project is seeking teens (13-17 years old) who identify as Black or Latino/a/x and who have experienced adversity or difficult life events. The study aims to find out what teens think it means to be healthy in terms of their sexuality and how this is related to general life experiences. Participants can earn up to $35 for their time. For more information, you can read this flyer, call 786-496-4286 or email SWAYproject@fiu.edu.
- Seeking caregivers and adolescents ages 12 to 18-years-old with some symptoms of depression
The Mechanisms Underlying Treatment Technologies (MUTT) Lab is seeking caregivers and adolescents ages 12 to 18-years-old with some symptoms of depression to participate in a study. We are investigating how adolescents' thoughts, moods, and behaviors may change how they feel over time, as well as what drives depression in adolescents.
Participation is required for approximately one month.*
- Parents and adolescents must live in Florida to participate in this study.
- Parent and adolescents will fill out questionnaires and interviews over Zoom.
- Adolescents will download an app on their smartphone to track their mood and phone-use over time.
Adolescents can earn up to: $151
Parents can earn up to: $40
El laboratorio MUTT (Mechanisms Underlying Treatment Technologies) está en búsqueda depadres y adolescentes entre 12 y 18 años de edad que presenten algunos síntomas de depresiónpara participar en un estudio. Estamos investigando cómo los pensamientos, estados de ánimo, ycomportamientos de adolescentes pueden cambiar cómo se sienten al pasar el tiempo. También,estamos investigando lo que conduce la depresión en adolescentes.
La participación por aproximadamente un mes* es necesaria.
- Los padres y adolescentes tienen que vivir en Florida para poder participar en este estudio.
- Los padres y adolescentes llenarán cuestionarios y entrevistas a través de Zoom.
- Los adolescentes descargarán una aplicación en sus teléfonos celulares para rastrear sus estados de ánimo y el uso del celular con el paso del tiempo.
Adolescentes puedenganar alrededor de: $151
Padres puedenganar alrededor de: $40
- Seeking caregivers/parents of Latino/Hispanics youth ages (9-15)PARENT ZOOM GROUPS or INTERVIEWS - $30 hour
- Are you the caregiver/parent of a Latino/Hispanic (pre)teen (9-15)?
- Are you interested in participating in research (doctoral dissertation study)?
- Groups/Interviews provided in Spanish & English
If you answered yes, you may qualify to participate in a focus group or a cognitive interview (complete a survey and complete an interview about the survey) which will help to develop a questionnaire specifically designed to look at temperament (general reactions and control of these reactions) among Latino/Hispanic youth in the U.S. Participation is completely voluntary.
Groups: One, 2-hour Zoom group; ~4 caregivers/parents; paid $60; groups available Sunday-Wednesday in July
Interviews: One, 90-minute Zoom appointment; paid $45; interviews available Sunday-Wednesday in October & November
To learn more or sign up click on this flyer.