Summer Academy in Liberty City is a comprehensive school readiness program adapted from the Summer Treatment Program for Pre-Kindergarteners. FIU Summer Academy is funded by The Children's Trust and operates in Liberty City at Thena Crowder Early Childhood Diagnostic and Special Education Center.
Each summer, the Summer Academy serves 45 pre-kindergartners (age 5 by September 1st) and assists them to:
- Surpass moderate to severe learning and behavioral needs
- Overcome academic shortfalls, underachievement, and school failure
- Learn school readiness skills
- Positively transition and succeed in kindergarten and beyond
- Participate in various recreational and classroom activities within an 7-week therapeutic summer day camp setting
- Eat healthy meals and snacks provided daily
Parental Involvement is also encouraged through weekly parent meetings, where parents develop the skills needed to prepare their child for kindergarten, to change their behavior at home/school, and to assist in their progress in camp.
For more information, call 305-396-1241.