Managed and operated by CCF in partnership with Nova Southeastern University, the Reading Explorers Program offers services funded by The Children’s Trust to providers and families to help improve foundational reading and reading comprehension skills for children. Since 2013, Reading Explorers has helped nearly 10,000 children and families and annually serves more than 2,000 children across Miami-Dade County. Furthermore, children reading below grade level have experienced up to 50% improvement in their reading skills after completing the program.
Summer Services for FamiliesThe Summer Reading Explorers Program (SREP) helps rising kindergarten, first, and second graders improve their reading skills. Students reading at or below reading level receive small-group reading tutoring services provided by certified teachers. The program is tailored to each child’s reading ability, is both structured and interactive, and follows an evidence-based reading curriculum. SREP works directly with selected Children’s Trust funded summer programs and Early Childhood Quality Counts Centers. Families are required to enroll in one of these participating programs in order to receive SREP services.
- Reading assessments at the beginning, middle, and end of the summer with personalized feedback for parents about their child’s reading skills
- Structured and interactive reading instruction tailored to child’s ability levels, delivered 30 minutes/day, 4 days/week for 6 to 8 weeks
- Parent school readiness workshops
- Resource connections during the school year for children reading below grade level
- Book giveaways
Year-Round Services for ProvidersThe Reading Explorers Program (REP) provides Children’s Trust-funded afterschool care providers with consultation year-round to improve their literacy instruction strategies for all children.
- Needs assessment to guide coaching support plan development
- Structured observations to inform goal setting and planning
- Coaching and on-site technical assistance in the implementation of differentiated literacy instruction
- Provision of evidence-based resources for differentiated literacy instruction
- Ongoing support including staff development and training in differentiated literacy instruction, working with English as a Second Language (ESOL) and Dual Language Learning (DLL) students, and working with children with disabilities