Summer Treatment Program Internships
The Center for Children and Families at Florida International University announces internship positions for the 2016 Summer Treatment Program. The Summer Treatment Program (STP) provides services to children with Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Conduct Disorder, Oppositional-Defiant Disorder, learning problems, and related behavior problems. The program provides treatment tailored to children's individual behavioral and learning difficulties.
May 24, 2016: Positions have been filled for the 2016 program. Applicants may apply as alternate/waitlist candidates at this time.
- Positions are available for Lead Counselors, Counselors, Research Assistants, Teachers, and Classroom Aides.
- Applications are accepted through the Spring of 2016. There is no application deadline.
- We receive a large number of applications, so interested students are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Applicants who apply after all positions have been filled will be placed on a waiting list.
- Room, board, and travel expenses are not covered. Each summer, there are many STP staff members who are interested in finding roommates. Once accepted to a position, staff members will have the opportunity to join a Facebook group to meet and communicate with other staff members to make housing and carpool arrangements.
- Attention FIU STP 2015 Staff Members: If you are interested in returning to work in STP 2016, please send a letter of intent and current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
STP 2016 Position Announcements
Dates, hours, salary, and responsibilities vary by program and position. Details are provided in the position announcements linked below.
Detailed program descriptions, including daily activities, roles and responsibilities, and daily schedules, are available below:
How to Apply
A complete application packet will include the following items:
1. An STP 2016 Staff Application Form
- Completed online using a web survey interface
- Applicants will be asked to provide the names, titles, and contact information for the people who will be submitting letters of recommendation on their behalf
- Applicants may also upload supplemental information such as a current resume or Curriculum Vitae and cover letter if they wish
2. Three (3) academic or professional letters of recommendation, sent directly from recommenders, using one of the methods below:
- send electronically to email@example.com; use subject line "Letter of Recommendation for [your name]";
- mail directly to the address below;
- recommenders may give a printed copy in a signed, sealed envelope to the applicant to mail.
3. official college or university transcripts, sent directly from the applicant’s transcript office or service, using one of the methods below:
- send electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- mail directly to the address below;
- submitted to the applicant in a sealed official envelope to mail.
Mailing Address for Letters of Recommendation and Transcripts
Center for Children and Families—STP Internships
Florida International University
11200 SW 8th Street AHC 1 Room 146
Miami FL 33199
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact email@example.com
The Center for Children and Families is directed by William E. Pelham, Jr., Ph.D., who is a Distinguished Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry at Florida International University. Paulo Graziano, Ph.D., and Katie Hart, Ph.D., are the Program Directors for the STP-PreK, Erika Coles, Ph.D., is the Program Director for the STP-E, and Margaret Sibley, Ph.D., is the Program Director for the STP-A.
STP 2016 will be held at Paul Bell Middle School, 11800 NW 2nd Street, Miami FL 33182. This location is approximately 1.9 miles from the main entrance of the FIU Modesto Maidique Campus (11200 SW 8th Street, Miami FL 33199). Some staff training activities will take place at the Center for Children and Families which is located in Academic Health Center 1 on the Modesto Maidique Campus (MMC). Training activities may be held at other MMC locations as well. Please do not contact Paul Bell Middle School with questions regarding the STP.